Tuesday, August 10, 2010

All-purpose cleaner

A few of you have asked for my all-purpose cleaner recipe.  I can't remember where I got it from (so I can't responsibly give the credit to whom it's due), and I don't really have a set recipe, but I can tell you what I do...and that it's really simple and CHEAP, not to mention all-around better for the earth. 
Here's what you need: 
  • an empty 32-oz spray bottle
  • hot water
  • about 1/2 cup of Borax
  • vinegar at room temperature
  • a tablespoon or two of lemon juice (both fresh and bottled are fine)
And here's what you do:  Fill the bottle about halfway up with really hot water (but not boiling - it might melt the bottle!) and add the Borax to it.  Shake it or stir it or do whatever you have to do to make the Borax dissolve.  Once you can't see any clumps in the bottle, add enough vinegar so that it almost reaches the top.  Add a little lemon juice, and you're done.   You're ready to safely and cheaply disinfect your home!  This cleaner works on all kinds of surfaces:  tables, countertops, sinks, toilets, etc.  To disinfect, spray it on and let it sit for about 10 minutes before wiping off with a clean, wet rag. 

4 comments:

  1. awesome! I'm trying this recipe next. I made a mixture (I'm pretty sure it was a recipe you gave me a while back!) but it has baking soda in it and only about 2 tbsp of vinegar. I like it alright, but keep thinking it needs more vinegar. Thanks, girl!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the performance of this cleaner! And I'm getting used to the vinegary smell around my house -- my nose is actually starting to recognize it as a "clean" smell! It's amazing how our senses and perceptions change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah, I haven't gotten to the point where I recognize vinegar as a "clean" smell! Still smells like rotten eggs to me....

    ReplyDelete