Thursday, August 12, 2010

Homemade Bread Revisited

About a year and a half ago, I posted a recipe for homemade wheat bread.  At the time, I was still using a couple of cups of white flour to keep the bread soft, but since then, I've discovered the power of wheat gluten.  It does wonders for hard, woody, whole-wheat baked goods!  After a lot of tweaking and experimenting, I've also started using a recipe that doesn't involve milk products, so it's a little more simple to make.  And we love it!  Now that my pregnancy-induced nausea seems to have subsided, and I can handle the smell of baking bread again, I've taken to making a batch once every week or two.  It's nice to be back in the habit.  So, without further ado, here's my new, revised bread recipe.  I hope you have as much success with it as I have!

Lisa's Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredients:

3 tsp. yeast
1/2 c. hot water
1 T. honey
3 T. olive oil
1.5 tsp. salt
2.5 c. warm water
1/4 c. honey
7 c. whole wheat flour
2/3 c. wheat gluten

Directions:
Mix yeast, 1/2 c. water, and 1 T. sugar or honey in a glass bowl and let sit for about 10 min. or until foamy. Mix together oil, salt, water, and honey; add the yeast water. Add the flour and gluten and knead for about 10 minutes in a stand mixer using the dough hook. Place dough into a greased bowl and turn over until well-coated. Cover w/ a damp towel and let rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours, or until just doubled in size. (I put it in a slightly warm oven that has been turned off.)

Punch the dough and place it on a flat surface. Divide into 2 equal sections and form into loaves. Place in 2 greased pans, and sprinkle w/oats (optional). Let rise another 45-60 min., or until almost doubled in size (again, in a barely warm oven).

With the loaves in the cool oven, turn on the heat to 400F.. After 15 min., reduce heat to 375F and bake 25 minutes longer. Test for doneness by removing from pan and knocking on the bottom; if a hollow sound emerges, the bread is done. Let cool completely on a wire rack before storing.

Optional: add 3 T. ground flaxseed and 3 T. sesame seeds to the flour and gluten for a heartier, multigrain bread.

2 comments:

  1. Where do you get your wheat gluten at? What brand is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it both at Meijer (Bob's Red Mill brand) and in bulk at my local health food shop.

    ReplyDelete