Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Another Baby Step: Homemade Deodorant

About a week ago, I went out on a very inexpensive and low-risk limb and tried making my own deodorant. When I shared this with the world via Facebook, I got various reactions, including, "Interesting," and "Hope it works!" (Thanks, Mom!). It seemed like a lot of people were cautiously skeptical...and for good reason. Body odor is nothing to be messed around with in our society. You stink, you're not cool. But since I had over half a tube left of my good ol' chemical-laden standby, Dove Ultimate Clear for Sensitive Skin, I figured, why not try something more natural and inexpensive....just to see?

I was made aware of this recipe via one of my favorite blogs, EnviroMom, and since it was easy, cheap, and accessible, I chose to try it over countless others out there on the Internet. It seemed to me like a doable "baby step," and lo and behold, it was! I'm totally impressed. Granted, it's not 98 degrees out there with 98% humidity yet (we'll see how it works at the end of an Indiana July), but even through various sweat-inducing activities, my armpits have stayed pleasantly dry and completely scent-free. So, for those of you interested, here's the magic formula:

1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 c. cornstarch
6 T. coconut oil

Blend them together with a fork or a food chopper until they form a semi-solid mixture, mash them into an empty deodorant tube, and you've got yourself a handy B.O. fixer! I like it better than some of the other natural products out there (like those of Arm & Hammer and Tom's), and I even like it better than my former anti-perspirant.

As a word of caution, though, one thing about coconut oil is that it turns to liquid at 76 degrees Fahrenheit, which is fine in these cooler days of winter/spring, but in the summer, I don't keep my house that cool, so I'll probably have to store my deodorant stick in the fridge, which might be a tad of an adjustment. We'll see how it goes. Also, because of the aforementioned melting, when I'm finished applying the deodorant, there's usually a small amount of wet residue dripping down the side of my tube, simply because the contact with my body has made the oil melt. So, I have to take a small piece of toilet paper and wipe down the tube before placing the cap back on. To me, though, those things are worthy adjustments in light of the fiscal, environmental, and potentially healthy rewards of managing my body's odor.

4 comments:

  1. I've been using the Toms mango deoderant for about a year and after the first month of rash and itching, Ive adjusted. I'm interested in you letting us know if it melts on to your shirts this summer. I used to melt coconut oil and drink it for my thyroid and it was a painful, gross experience. Needless to say, I'm a little sensitive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have pretty sensitive skin, too, and found that Tom's gave me a rash as well. Plus, I was having to reapply it in the afternoon because it was already giving out...and this was in January!

    As for the melting, what I've found so far is that the mixture dries really quickly on my skin after the application (within seconds), and I've noticed no residue whatsoever throughout the day. It might be different in the summertime, but I can't imagine that it would be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep mine in the fridge and I have not had any melting problems. I also do not notice any residue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me just follow up and say that after two whole weeks of using this, I've never been drier or more scent-free. Seriously. It's the best deodorant I've ever used.

    ReplyDelete