Friday, May 29, 2009

Blogs I Read: Part 5

Blog #5: EnviroMom

Ok, so this blog could really be called "EnviroFamily", but it wouldn't have the same familiar ring to it reminding us of the environment. As you can probably guess by the name, it's a website devoted to environmental responsibility, especially in regards to raising families. Plus, it's written by two run-of-the-mill stay-at-home moms in Portland, Oregon. Their whole shtick is the idea of "baby steps" -- huge, astronomical lifestyle changes just aren't practical in a family setting. At any rate, it's been very helpful for me in my quest to s-l-o-w-l-y adjust our lifestyle so that we live in a more economical, sustainable, and earth-friendly way, and by my own actions, to teach Ian to do the same.

What I love most about EnviroMom is that they're so NOT pushy and judgmental. In fact, they spend most of their time talking about what they haven't mastered yet and ideas they're still just thinking about but haven't implemented yet. It's a daily chronicle of their little "baby step" decisions to cut this small thing out, or add this activity to their lives, etc.

Some things I've changed in our household because of EnviroMom are:
  • using old diapers instead of paper towels
  • using cloth napkins instead of paper napkins
  • buying in bulk to save on container consumption
  • generally reducing what I bring in to the house so I don't have to recycle/throw away as much
  • composting my food prep scraps instead of tossing them in the garbage
  • using homemade vinegar solutions to clean my windows instead of store-bought ones
  • using phosphate-free dishwasher detergent along with vinegar in my dishwasher
  • spending more time outdoors
  • trying to limit Ian's toys to mostly wooden ones instead of plastic
  • feeding Ian snacks that are homemade/fresh and not out of a box or a package

Some things that are still "stewing" in my brain for possible future baby steps:
  • using wash cloths instead of toilet paper for every day use
  • buying bikes to do more of our errand running/church going that way instead of in our gas-guzzling Jeep
  • buying most or all of our food through local businesses or farms
  • switching to "greener" beauty products (possibly reducing my use of makeup -- gasp!)
  • canning/freezing food like crazy in the summer so I don't have to buy it through non-local means in the winter.
I've still got a long way to go, but it's all about "baby steps," right?

-

2 comments:

  1. ooohhhh.... using wash cloths instead of toilet paper does not sound like a baby step to me. yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounded like a big step to me too, until our family recently tried it!

    Now granted, we've already done the baby step of using cloth diapers, so it wasn't so much more to ask to throw our little "toilet wipers" in the hamper and wash them together (though I can't wait to have a smaller pail once our children out grow the need for diapers). We cut up old tee-shirts which are actually about as soft and absorbent as any brand you'd care to name. I sewed a little bag to hang conveniently on the TP bar. We also posted a note to our friends right next to the "toilet wipers" bag which explains the purpose and procedure in a humorous way. We are very satisfied. Yet, we retain TP for our less adventurous guests!

    Thanks Lisa, for bringing it up in conversation. Lead on, O Environmentally Sound and Economical One! -Rebecca Hall, South Bend, IN

    ReplyDelete